Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Maelstrom (part 7)

It has been generally accepted that Naga look like aquatic dragon-ish, snakes with no legs and sometimes a few too many arms. There are slight variations, for example snakes for hair, large fins, shells, etc. However, the male of the species tend to be the dumber, stronger ones while the female tend to be the more intelligent leaders. Because of this, the males always look bulkier while the females have a more petite frame. And when the mouse roars at the lion, the lion jumps.

Three 7-foot-tall, lionesque Naga with shell-like helmets swam in my direction at the behest of what looked like a serpentine maid. I was certain of two things: 1) these were non-magic users; easily beaten if I could keep them at a distance. 2) Sharaniss had fled. I did not see him run off, but I held little doubt that when confronted by the guards of his own government, he would rather flee than be faced with treason charges.

I conjured up a ball of arcane energy that should be sufficiently powerful to knock back all three of the brutes in one swing. I was trying to think of something clever to say when at that moment someone else said something for me.

"WAIT!" It was Sharaniss. Not very clever, but the brutes did stop in their tracks. I smiled, knowing that Sharaniss was more loyal to me than I had thought. This is when I noticed that Sharaniss was not like the other Naga. He was a male magic user, a rare combination among Naga in itself, but he was also less bulky than the other males, and he seemed to be rather intelligent.

"This human is my prisoner!" he said, challenging my conclusion on his intelligence, "He has important information for the Queen herself!"

The three brutes looked at each other, confused. But the tiny female maid knew what to do. She stepped forward and challenged Sharaniss.

"Give me the information and I will relay it to Her Majesty," she said.

"Forgive me, ma'am," Sharaniss replied, "but the information resides within the ring he carries. This ring also allows him to breathe in our atmosphere. If he were to take it off, he would die without safe passage to the surface. He must deliver it himself. Do not worry, I will assure that he doesn't get into any trouble."

The maid glared at us. I attempted to hide a smirk. This Naga was, indeed, clever. None of the male Naga who had made it to the surface to help Illidan had come even close to this level of intelligence. Perhaps it was in Azshara's best interest to keep the smartest behind.

"Alright," the maid finally said, "But I will accompany you."

"You will, of course, announce us to the Queen?" Sharaniss asked.

"Of course."

As we set on our way, I made sure we kept several steps behind the maid so that I could discuss the matter with my Naga companion. "I appreciate what you did," I said, "But I do not wish to actually see Azshara. That would not end well."

"I didn't expect her to accompany us," Sharaniss said, "I guess I should have, since the Queen welcomes females with more respect than males, but I had to think quickly, not precisely."

"Why did you help me?" I asked him.

"You are the first human I have ever seen. The first many of us have seen. We had been lead to believe that you were a stupid, warring race that has no place in Nazjatar. But I don't see that in you. The fact that you let me live proves you are intelligent and benevolent. I don't know whether you represent your entire race, but if you alone are half the being I sense you to be, I wish to be considered your friend."

Beside me swam an intelligent, well-spoken, magic-using male Naga. Never in all my days did I think I would stand in the presense of such a being. In some ways I counted myself a fool for believing such a being didn't exist. Swiming the hallways of this palace, I smiled at my new alliance.

It wasn't long before we were close to the Queen's Chambers. We stopped in front of a huge, ornate door with the same emblem that was on my conjured ring.

"Wait here," said the maid, and she opened the door, moved swiftly through it, and closed it behind her.

We stood there, unmoving. It was a perfect chance to escape, but Sharaniss stood silently considering other options.

"This is the chamber that opens into the Rift, isn't it?" I asked, knowing the answer.

"Yup," said Sharaniss.

And so we stood. Waiting to gain an audience with the Light of Lights, Queen Azshara of Nazjatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment