Friday, December 5, 2008

The Old Gods (part 1)

The knowledge of them has been lost to time. And this is partly due to the will of the Titans. It is said that the Old Gods ruled this world in chaos. Their servants were the elemental forces of the unshaped world. There was little more known about them, for when the Titans came to shape order out of chaotic Azeroth, they buried the Old Gods deep under the surface of the planet, planning to destroy them as soon as their work was finished.

But they didn't. The Titans' job was to travel the universe and shape ordered planets out of chaotic elements. On Azeroth they established the Dragon Aspects, created the Earthen (which would become Dwarves) and the Vrykul (which may have become Humans), and formed the great oceans and mountain ranges on the planet. They created many of the physical laws we know to be in place today and took steps to safeguard the ways in which we were able to manipulate them. But the chaotic and anarchic Old Gods would see to it that this perfect world of the Titans would never last. They bound themselves to Azeroth with the Curse of Flesh so that if they were destroyed, so would also be the planet. The Titans saw this and bound the Old Gods in their graves so that they would never be able to escape and do harm to Azeroth.

And there they slept for thousands of years. Until now.

The first of the Old Gods to awaken was C'Thun. Commanding vast armies of insect-like Quiraji, he attempted to free himself from his earthen prison. Mighty heroes of Azeroth soon put an end to this threat.

But now there is an even stronger force that threatens the lives of the denezins of Azeroth.

My first encounter with this Old God was in the Howling Fjords, though I was unsure at the time of its origin. Whispers from an unknown voice entered my head and tried to dilute my thinking so that I woud believe everyone was out to get me. This was silly, of course, because everyone believes me to be dead. At first I was wont to believe this was the voice of the Lich King. But I knew that voice. It was not his.

My travels took me deeper into Northrend were, as you know, I found myself resting in the Dragonblight. After I had gathered my strength I decided to investigate some rumors I had heard about the old Nerubian kingdom. The Nerubians are in a civil war against those who would align themselves with the Lich King. I was fortunate to be able to speak with one of the insectoid creatures who is against out common enemy.

He told me that the Scourge had almost completely wiped out their old kingdom and left it in ruins. The only things that remain are Scourge forces, ancient, untouched tomes of wisdom and literature... and the Forgotten Ones. The creature I was talking to explained that the Nerubians had regarded the Forgotten Ones as a myth until that fateful day when their traitorous king met the Death Knight Arthas. On their way to Icecrown Glacier, they passed through Azjol'Nerub and battled against a huge faceless being with unsightly tenticles. It was said that these beings lived far underground and wished to return to the surface and destroy the known world. This was because they were said to worship and serve the Old Gods.

I am still investigating this new threat. My only comfort is that I am already dead and cannot succumb to a deathly force... I think...

Pray that what I find is defeatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment