Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Blue Dragon part 2

You will recall earlier reading that I had made my home at Karazahn because of its peculiar location on top of the convergence of all the ley lines in Azeroth. From within Karazahn's walls I am able to call upon such mystical forces as the rest of the world has never seen. There are two ways in which this presently presented itself as a bad thing.

1) My use of these forces marked me as an enemy of Malygos.

2) Being curious about similar ley line convergences lead me to be captured by the aforementioned dragon.

I had assumed Karazahn was unique. I had thought that they ley lines could come together only at one point. So you can imagine my surprise when, in the Frozen North, I felt as though I was back home at my tower. I was pulling on the same amount of arcane energy as I would have had I been standing in my own library. Why was this? I was unable to answer that question before Saragosa trapped me in an anti-arcane field.

It knocked me unconscious at first. The sudden loss of power stung greatly at my mind and the last thing I saw was the face of Malygos. When I came to, the room was empty. I was floating mid-air in a blackish purple swirl of consuming mist. Around me, however, were frozen walls and a blue floor. There was no real architecture in this particular room, save for the natural drip of freezing water. Although the anti-arcane field stripped me of much of my vitality, what hurt the most was the complete lack of another presence. I was all alone.

Now, as a hermit for most of my life, you can imagine I would be fairly accustomed to being left to my thoughts. But there was something about the air in the room... something about the sting of the cold and the grasp of the field that made hours feel like days and days feel like weeks. By this new method of counting I would have been in that room for at least a month before someone came along, but in reality it was only about a day and a half.

Finally I was treated to the presence of my captor. A weak-looking human in a blue cloak and a short, white beard entered. The disguise did not fool me. This was Malygos.

"Good evening, Medivh," he said, "Welcome to the Nexus."

I answered with a spit in my voice, "Hello, Malygos."

The Aspect laughed. "You are very astute even without the use of your powers."

Malygos waved his arm and the dark mist vanished. I fell to the floor and... hurt myself. I actually hurt myself. I was unable to cast a spell of protection before I fell. Why was that? The mist was gone, after all...

"I apologize for leaving you alone for so long," Malygos continued, "But it just took that long for me to drain you."

"You've taken away my ability to use magic? That's impossible!"

Again Malygos laughed. This annoyed me because I'M supposed to be the arrogant, mindful one who knows something the other doesn't. "You wield the arcane like a child. And if I'm not mistaken, taking candy from a baby is supposed to be something easy to do."

No one had ever spoken to me like that. Even as a child my command over magic had been applauded and awed after. I was perhaps the greatest wielder of magic Azeroth had ever seen! And this human-form dragon was comparing me to a child. Perhaps the rumors of his sanity returning had been exaggerated. Nevertheless, being able to take my power away was an astonishing feat.

"I will confess," Malygos continued with his annoyingly arrogant poise, "that this treatment is only a temporary one. It's much like a highly-amplified version of a Counterspell. It will disallow you to use magic but only for so long. Eventually your life force will regenerate its lost abilities. But it should still be just long enough to kill you."

"You can't kill me," I explained, "I'm already dead."

Malygos laughed again. You have no idea the intensity of the rage that built up in me from enduring this show of arrogance. "Yet here you are!" he said, "Why is that?"

I found this difficult to explain myself. Indeed, I had died, but I was able to move about in the world of the living as more than merely a spirit. I gave to him the answer I had temporarily devised for myself: "Bonding with Sargaras has... changed me, somehow. I believe I may be... a half-eternal hybrid of some kind."

"Yet here you are... crawling on my floor... injured by a nine-foot fall."

This was also difficult to explain. I felt the only one who could explain it was standing before me. "What have you done?"

"And so we get to the point of the matter. The reason I brought you here. The reason I haven't killed you yet." Malygos walked around the room proudly. "Your tower, Karazahn. It is positioned upon the heart of Azeroth's ley lines, is it not?"

"Yes, it is."

"Have you felt any trembles? Any earthquakes, if you will?"

"I have not stayed there for any long amount of time. If any earthquakes had happened it would have been while I was gone. It has, however, fallen into a state of disarray. An earthquake may explain some of that."

Malygos grinned. I knew he wasn't telling me something. But in a sense he didn't have to. I had a sense of what he was doing. I just hoped that I was wrong. But since I am never wrong, this was a lesson in futility.

At this point, however, I was more interested in survival. I was weaker than I had ever been. But I sensed that I was not as weak as Malygos had thought. Even then I felt some semblance of magic running through me. In Karazahn I had learned to harness the arcane forces around me and bring them into my very being. I had done this out of arcane gluttony at the time, but now I was doing it as a means of survival. The disturbing thought was that I had only previously been able to do this in my tower. And now, here, on the roof of the world, I was able to do it in Malygos' lair, the Nexus. If this didn't confirm what my theory was, Malygos was about to.

"All I needed was confirmation. I already knew that fewer and fewer people were visiting the tower. In time Karazahn will become less and less useful as a draw for magic. You see, I'm moving all the world's ley lines. Lining them up so that they run... here. Then I will suck up the world's magic and destroy it. I would have moved to Karazahn, but in stead of tearing down that old place and building an entirely new Nexus it was much easier to do things this way..."

"It's easy to reshape the very foundation of the planet??"

"My dear child, you really have no sense of the forces with which you play at all, do you? Such is the problem with all the magic-baring races of Azeroth. And why they must all be wiped out."

Just then another dragon entered the room. This one was actually in dragon form, although he was much smaller than Malygos' true form. Even so, he towered over the Aspect's human form and myself.

"Malygos," he said, "I have grave news."

"What is it!?" Malygos roared, "Can't you see I'm busy?"

"Sir, Saragosa... She's dead."

Malygos finally turned his attention away from me allowing me to muster up a modicum of arcane energy. Just enough to evoke a simple teleportation spell.

"She... What?!" Malygos sounded utterly devastated.

"She died at the hands of Keristrasza. Even now, the red dragon calls you forth to respond to this heinous act."

That was all I heard before I finished casting my spell. I can imagine Malygos turning around and finding me gone. Another blot to an otherwise horrific day for the dragon. As for me, the teleportation spell wore me out like no other spell ever had. I had teleported myself to the Undercity. It was, therefore, a short distance back to Northrend by conventional means. It was just a teleportation spell, but I felt as though I had used up the very last of my energy. The Blue Dragon's anti-arcane field had weakened me greatly. But he was right: my life force continued to regenerate my lost power. Until it was fully restored, I took a zeppelin back to the Howling Fjords and mounted a flying steed to Agmar's Hammer in Dragonblight where I am currently resting.

What I had learned was disturbing, indeed. My tower's positioning had allowed Malchazzar to open up to himself all realities and all dimensions. But even then, neither of us were foolish enough draw all the magic into that one concentrated area. Such a thoughtless use of magic is what turned Draenor into the Outlands. It tore their planet asunder and forever altered its once-beautiful landscape.

I fear this shall not be the last I see of the Blue Dragon or his Nexus. But when I return. I shall be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment